What is FOCUS Orange County?
FOCUS Orange County is an acronym for Fellowship of Orthodox Christians United to Serve. FOCUS Orange County is a local chapter of FOCUS North America, a non-profit 501c3 domestic charitable provider organization headquartered in Kansas City, Kansas. FOCUS North America is the only national Pan-Orthodox Christian agency working operationally on pervasive and persistent issues of poverty in our communities in conjunction with the Orthodox Church in North America. FOCUS Orange County is an outreach of the Orthodox Christian churches in Orange County.
Inspired by the Orthodox Christian tradition of championship of the poor and oppressed, FOCUS Orange County’s mission is to the under-served homeless and working poor with food, occupation help & counseling, clothing, emergency assistance (of various kinds), and help with housing (by way of referral to other providers). We will serve in conjunction with other providers, faith-based and secular.
Homelessness and Poverty in Orange County
- Orange County, CA: Second highest Housing Wage Level in U.S. (hourly wages to afford housing)
- 21,000 + homeless people live in Orange County
- 22,000 Orange County public school students live in unstable housing conditions, according to criteria of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- 20,549 live in doubled-tripled up housing
- 892 live in motels
- 441 live in shelters
- 143 live in unsheltered surroundings (parks, campgrounds)
- Shortage of shelter beds and many with high-entry qualifications, leave average homeless people on the streets